Since 1982, Atlantic Center for the Arts Master Artists in-Residence Program has provided artists from all artistic disciplines with spaces to live, work, and collaborate during three-week residencies. Each residency includes three master artists of different disciplines. The master artists each personally select a small group of emerging and mid-career 'Associate Artists' - through a competitive application process administered by ACA. During the residency, the selected 'Associate Artists' work independently on their own projects, participate in discussions with their Master Artist and others in their group, as well as interact or collaborate with artists in other disciplines. The relaxed atmosphere, unstructured program and lush, unspoiled environment provide considerable time for artistic experimentation, exploration and creation.To see upcoming Master Artists and full schedule see: http://atlanticcenterforthearts.org/residencies/master-artist-residency-...
New Smyrna Beach, Florida: United States
New Smyrna Beach, Florida: United States Located just five miles from the east coast beaches of central Florida, the pine and palmetto wooded environment contains award-winning studios for painting, sculpture, music, writing, and dance, a black box theater, media lounge, and resource library. Modern studios on 69 acres of lush palmetto and pine forest in the midst of 2,200 acres of ecological preserve, on the richest tidal estuary in North America.
- Residency Length: 3 weeks
- Average number of artists in residence at a time: 24
- Number of artists accepted in most recent year: 94
- Total applicant pool in most current year: 400
- Application type: Open application
- Collaboration: May apply as a team
- Geography: Open to US artists, Open to non-US artists
- Additional eligibility information:Master Artists set criteria and select a maximum of 8 Associate Artists with whom to work.
- Application deadline: May 14, December 04, June 25, October 15, January 22
- Application Ongoing: Yes
- Additional deadline info:Residency Deadlines ongoing. View Schedule at http://www.atlanticcenterforthearts.org/master-artist-residence-schedule To receive our free monthly email newsletter visit http://www.atlanticcenterforthearts.org/join-email-newsletter
Past Residents & Quotes
Edward Albee, Paula Vogel, Eric Bogosian, Spalding Gray, Annie Baker, Alex Katz, Nan Goldin, Brice Marden, Dana Schutz, Pepón Osorio, Laura Owens, William Kentridge, Sekou Sundiata, Ralph Lemon, Liz Lerman, Eiko & Koma, Merce Cunningham, Allen, Ginsberg, Sharon Olds, Sonia Sanchez, Richard Blanco, Nick Flynn, Carolyn Forché, John Corigliano, Cecil Taylor, Pauline Oliveros, Louis Andriessen, George Lewis and Augusta Reed Thomas.
I cannot praise the architecture and game plan for ACA highly enough. For professional creative artists this program is a godsend.
Facilities & Services
- Housing: Private housing (individual apartment/cabin/house)Housing has air conditioning/heating, work desk, small refrigerator; private bathroom w/shower, and hi-speed wireless internet.
- Meals: All/most meals are provided by organizationMeals: Weekday meals are provided Vegetarian options at all meals; local/fresh/organic ingredients emphasized; special dietary needs addressed; weekend meals not provided; twice-weekly trips to grocery /drug store arranged
- Computer/internet access: Wireless Internet
- Accessibility: housing/grounds/studios are accessibleFour housing units are dedicated to individuals with limited accessibility.
- Studios/special equipment: Dance / Choreography, Digital media, Exhibition / Installation, Fiber arts, Film / Digital editing, Music studio (non-recording), Music recording studio, Painting, Photography (digital), Theater, Sculpture, Woodworking
- Additional studio information:Communal studio spaces with 24-hour access.
- Other facilities and services: Laundry facilities, local pay phone, fax/copier service, bicycles/locks available. Twice-weekly trips to local stores provided.
$900/3-week residency includes weekday meals and housing; does not include artist materials, transportation or weekend meals.
Stipends / other support
Only accepted Associate Artists may apply for financial assistance. See website for details.
Additional expectations / opportunities
No expectations, unlimited opportunities!
1414 Art Center Avenue
New Smyrna Beach, Florida 32168
New Smyrna Beach, Florida 32168